History of Fair

The Shasta District Fair is an exciting rural fair. This 5-day fair is held annually Wednesday through Sunday in mid-June. It is without question the single largest annual event held in Shasta County and attracts close to 100,000 people of all ages and backgrounds. We take great pride in our ability to safely and effectively produce the excitement, intrigue, fun, and attraction of our event, while maintaining the highest level of professionalism in business practice standards. We thought it would be fun and informative to show visitors how the fair started out, way back in the early days of Shasta County.


History of the Fair


  • According to the records: In 1880 the 10th District Agricultural Association was founded which included three counties: Siskiyou, Shasta and Trinity.  It is this association which organizes and puts on fairs.
  • The first fair in Shasta County was held in 1887. It opened with a parade lead by the Millville Bugle Band, followed by officers of the Association, the Grand Army, the Fire Department, Fraternal Societies, and visiting citizens who were in carriages and on foot. They had a mineral and agricultural display which was shown at Major George’s Hall. The fair was sponsored by the Shasta County Agricultural and Mineral Association.
  • In 1888 the exhibits were shown in the ‘new’ McCormick Saeltzer brick building onMarket Street.  There was no admission fee or charges for space.
  • In 1889 ShastaCountywithdrew from the 10th DAA and the 27th District Agricultural Association was formed. Its first fair was held in August, 1889 in the Pine Street School house. Admission was 50¢ for adults and 15¢ per child. (During this time a farm hand made $1-$2 per day). Fairs were held annually for the next 6 years.
  • The only fair that was held between 1894 and 1903 was in 1902.  It was held in Armory Hall (now the Shasta Regional Hospital site). Wilber Fish’s fence-making machine was one of the main attractions.  Debrowsky’s jewelry, Wm. Bergh’s furniture, Miss Margaret Bell’s minerals, and Leighton Bros. apples were also among the displays.
  • Due to the outbreak of WWI, no fairs were held from 1916 – 1918.
  • From 1918 – 1930 the Farm Bureau took over planning the annual fair, which was held in Anderson at the Terry Box Factory site (east side of the railroad tracks by the old Anderson Catholic Cemetery).
  • The depression of 1931 closed the Fair gates until 1935.
  • In March 1933 the first Board was appointed…an eight-person board, appointed and confirmed by Governor Rolph, and the 27th DAA was reactivated, but even though the Board was in place, the next fair wasn’t held until 1935.
  • Due to WWII, no fairs were held from 1942 – 1945.
  • Fairs have been held annually from 1946 to the present.